Thursday, July 10, 2008

Genetics

Last week my mother called to tell me that they’d been victims of identity theft, only when she told me she didn’t know the proper way to communicate her rage (MOTHERFUCKER STOLE MY SHIT? AW HELL NO) and instead said something nice and fairly restrained like “I just can’t believe someone would steal my checking account number! I’m just so… so… well, frankly Birdie, I’m pissed.”

Really? Because let me introduce you to some websites that will not only steal your credit card information, they’ll make a brisket out of your ass and sell it back to you as cheap barbeque. That might even warrant a damn pissed. But this attitude is one of the things I love about my mother, that she can look at a bank statement missing thousands of dollars and tell me she got a little nauseated when she had to talk to the bank manager. Because I’ll be honest, I do not have that genetic trait. I would not have been able to refrain from driving to Katy, Texas, where the faux checks had been cashed, finding the ignorant catfish that had stolen my money and setting their house on fire.

2 comments:

Carl from L.A. said...

You sure you came from the same lineage? One thing for sure though, I think my daughter is growing on the same track as you. There is no "internalization".

Shari said...

Fantastic! Enjoyed reading everything..especially the identify theft thingy. Hope that is all cleared up by now. I can just hear your mother's sweet voice telling you the story. I don't know how she does it...I would be like you and on my way to katy with a handgun