Sunday, April 16, 2006

I Got Nothin: But I Promise To Do Better Later In The Week

Robin has asked that I entertain you folks with some stories while she is unable to reach a computer.
Though this will not be entertaining, I promise to do better later.
There are certainly stories from college and later years which would allow you insight into our dear Robin, but this will at least tell you guys how we met.

Robin and I are on the way to a mutual friend’s party recently when she looks at me, obviously perplexed, and says: "Do you remember how we met the first time?"

After I got over the shock and awe of her not remembering something so vastly important, I was able to answer:
"Yeah, don’t you? You were sitting outside the laundry room of the dorm reading a book, waiting on your laundry, and I was going to do the same, only I’d forgotten my book. So I struck up a conversation. We discovered we had graduated less than 30 miles from each other and started listing people we had in common."

"Huh. I just didn’t remember."

"And now?"

"Yeah, not so much."

"Huh. Whatever."

Great story, eh?
The only shocking thing we DID realize was that this was almost 8 years ago.
Holy Jayzus.
We’ve known each other 8 years.

And, as you could have guessed, we’re not keen on keeping people around.
We both acknowledged that our friendship to each other and to a handful, literally maybe 4 total, of other people from college are our longest friendships.
Neither of us talk to anyone from grade school, middle school, junior high, high school or any jobs that we’ve ever had.
We have our handful of college friends and then the randoms we have met in the last few years.
All other ties to the past (save family) have been severed.

Are we the only people like this?
Do all of you other people still have friends from your childhood?

- - - Meghansdiscontent - - - AKA Brittany

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am the same way. I have almost no friends from previouse jobs, cities that I lived in, or schools that I attended. I feel realy lonely sometimes. I work with a guy now that is still in contact with the same group of people that he went to high school with. I wish I had done that.

Carl from L.A. said...

I have maybe one friend from college that I talk to regularly. One friend from grade school that I recently starting talking to again. Before I got married, friends were mostly people I met from work. These days, my world consists of Thing 1, Thing 2 (see right) and my wife (sometimes aka Thing 3).

Unknown said...

My childhood is not one I would have wanted to keep contact with. I cut ties after 8th grade when we moved. Two years later, we moved again, although I was becoming more socially functional. My last two years of high school, I said fuckit and ignored everyone. From college, I still have a few friends (all married now GAH!!!) and a few aquaintances from my department, but that's about it. I don't keep friends close to me.

I don't think that is a good thing.

Drunken Chud said...

when i moved back in with my folks, it was kind of forced on me. i mean, the kids i grew up with all lived on the same block. and now all hung out at the same bar. convieniently walking distance from the end of the street. i really don't like most of my friends. it's sad to say, but it's true. i have a core group of close friends but the rest are just kind of there. had i to do all over again, prolly wouldn't have moved back home.

Barry S. said...

I maintain a few friendships with people I grew up with. We grew up in a small town and maybe it is a little different there. I think as people evolve and change they realize that they are headed in different directions.

Jenni said...

I have one friend that I talk to occaisionally from high school. And she has a memory like yours. The girl forgets nothing. Me? I can't remember last week.

The Gnat's Trumpet said...

None from high school, the last one of those died the slow death of indifference over the years from 1996 to 1999. Only three from college, and only one of those I speak to regularly (read: once of twice a year). There aren't any from law school anymore although I do have one friend from that period that I met telemarketing and we have managed to keep up. There are a couple of others that I keep in contact with because of work, but if one of them (or I) move on to other jobs, I'm sure they will be gone as well. Wow, you have sure reminded me of my antisocial nature with this exercise. Like carl from l.a. my world consists of my own thing 1, thing 2 and my wife.

oakland heidi said...

So many friends from childhood, middle school, college, old jobs. I keep the cream of the crop. The rest I could care less about.